Working smarter in an overtired world means being as focused as possible. Here is another tip from my book, Rewired: How to Work Smarter, Live Better, and Be Purposefully Productive in an Overwired World:
Stop shifting clutter. Start organizing and simplifying.
Clutter is distracting. Really distracting. In fact, researchers at Princeton’s Neuroscience Institute reported last March that clutter actually inhibits the brain’s ability to focus and process information because it vies for our energy and attention. Just like computers slow down when too many programs are open, we slow down when we have too much stuff demanding our attention. This is critical for workshifters! So, to think and perform better, get rid of the clutter and get organized:
• Take a look at your office or work area.
• Is it well organized or cluttered?
• Can you find what you need?
• Develop a system where you touch a paper or e-mail only once. Throw out or file papers you don’t need.
• Organize your supplies and files so you can find them.
Something draining or distracting you? Hide it or get rid of it. You want to create an environment that is energizing and helps you stay productive and focused, not one that distracts you with clutter.
Read more about Rewired at http://aimleadership.com/resources/rewired/