Resolve to Rewire!
This year, I am urging all of my friends and clients to make one big resolution: To rewire from their overwired lives. In my new book, Rewired: How to Work Smarter, Live Better, and Be Purposefully Productive in an Overwired World, I explain how we got so overwired, why we must unwire, and then how to rewire so that we are purposefully productive and present in our own lives.
I am going to blog some tips from that book. Here’s the first:
1. Stop running full out and start recharging regularly!
In order to rewire ourselves, we first have to stop the madness of going full tilt 24/7 and unwire so that we can recharge ourselves on a regular basis. We need to unwire in small but meaningful ways throughout the day:
• Start your day unwired. Have coffee before checking your smartphone or e-mail.
• Before diving into your e-mail and phone calls, take five minutes to review your schedule, look at the day, and think things through.
• Have phone-free lunches. Do you really need to be available?
• Take a walk at lunch rather than surf the Web as you eat at your desk.
• Try to unplug for ten minutes or so every hour. Get up from your desk, stretch, walk around, step outside, etc. And leave your phone behind.
Five minutes or ten minutes here and there may not sound like a lot, but it all adds up. You will be amazed at the impact even these short periods of unwired time have on your rejuvenation.
Read more about Rewired at http://aimleadership.com/resources/rewired/